‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

MORTON PINKNEY LEVEL CROSSING 10 Replies

There was a public level crossing between Blakesley and Morton Pinkney, complete with a gatehouse.Does anyone know how this was operated?Presumably the gates must have been manual and kept closed against road traffic.Early Working Timetables mention…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Ian Merivale 18 hours ago.

SMJ rides again? Broom to Stratford Greenway Proposal

From Bidford on Avon Parish council comes news of the Avon and Arrow Greenway Project whose latest newsletter is here: August 2020 AAGP…Continue

Started by Simon Stevens on Monday.

Bidford-on-Avon station photos 2 Replies

Hello folks - I'm interested in sourcing any historical photos of Bidford-on-Avon station and wondering if anyone here could help point me in the right direction? (There are a few on…Continue

Started by Greg Wye. Last reply by Greg Wye Aug 30.

Stored coaches 4 Replies

This query arises from a discussion on another site (Disused Railway and Stations around Northamptonshire).There has been recent reference to coaches stored on the SMJ and a statement in Bylines March 12th issue that there were over three hundred…Continue

Started by Alan Brant. Last reply by Ian Mathews Aug 16.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Steve Johns's Discussions (10)

Discussions Replied To (9) Replies Latest Activity

"Hi Greg, Go to members on the index at the top of the page and look for Mike Musson…"

Steve Johns replied Aug 17 to Bidford-on-Avon station photos

2 Aug 30
Reply by Greg Wye

"Hi Clive, The points would still be wooden sleepered. Steve"

Steve Johns replied Jul 31 to Concrete sleepers

2 Aug 1
Reply by Clive

"Hi Mark, Long time no see. I think the last time we met was at the NEC when you wer…"

Steve Johns replied May 30 to EWJR Portland Cement Wagon

11 Jun 11
Reply by Mark Reader

"Hi Jim, I will be moving to Oxhill just south of Kineton into the heart of SMJ count…"

Steve Johns replied May 21 to EWJR Portland Cement Wagon

11 Jun 11
Reply by Mark Reader

"Hi Jim, The DX is as yet unbuilt as i'm in the process of moving house so everythin…"

Steve Johns replied May 20 to EWJR Portland Cement Wagon

11 Jun 11
Reply by Mark Reader

"Hi Jim, I was also thinking of building one in 4mm scalefour to sit behind my ex LN…"

Steve Johns replied May 18 to EWJR Portland Cement Wagon

11 Jun 11
Reply by Mark Reader

"Hi Jim, It's understood that Bassett-Lowke models were fairly accurate representati…"

Steve Johns replied May 10 to EWJR Portland Cement Wagon

11 Jun 11
Reply by Mark Reader

"Clive, From photographs in various books on the SMJ it seems that the non-corridor…"

Steve Johns replied Oct 16, 2019 to Coaches used on SMJ 1948-1952

2 Mar 21
Reply by Clive

"Good idea. Give me the push to actually gat started building the model!! Would be us…"

Steve Johns replied Feb 21, 2015 to Model Railway Layouts featuring SMJR System

4 Mar 9, 2015
Reply by Jack Freuville

RSS

© 2020   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service