‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

John Norton's Discussions (12)

Discussions Replied To (10) Replies Latest Activity

"Hi Andy I hope you are well, as George has stated the layout will be removed in the…"

John Norton replied Jan 18, 2017 to SMJ Exhibition at Towcester Museum

4 Feb 17, 2017
Reply by NIGEL

"Confirmation that Towcester layout will be installed in Towcester Museum on Mondsy A…"

John Norton replied Jul 31, 2016 to Towcester Museum -n SMJR exhibition

12 Dec 16, 2016
Reply by NIGEL

"Hi Paul, the museum has contacted me and stated that things had "slid". They are now…"

John Norton replied Jul 13, 2016 to Towcester Museum -n SMJR exhibition

12 Dec 16, 2016
Reply by NIGEL

"They also wanted my exhibition layout of Towcester which I agreed to loan. I've hear…"

John Norton replied Jul 11, 2016 to Towcester Museum -n SMJR exhibition

12 Dec 16, 2016
Reply by NIGEL

"Thanks Gary, we have omitted several of the sidings in the station yard and "squeeze…"

John Norton replied Jul 28, 2013 to Lucas Bridge Towcester Model Layout

4 Aug 3, 2013
Reply by Brian Elphick

"Thought I had posted picture of the bridge!!"

John Norton replied Jul 20, 2013 to Lucas Bridge Towcester Model Layout

4 Aug 3, 2013
Reply by Brian Elphick

"If we are talking about he model that was in Birmingham, I have seen it and took pho…"

John Norton replied Jan 6, 2013 to Towcester Museum 100 Club

27 Jan 21, 2013
Reply by John Evans

"Hi Simon, thank you for your reply, I will contact Richard. Brian, I will call you…"

John Norton replied Jan 6, 2013 to Drawings of Towcester Station

7 Jan 30, 2013
Reply by Brian Elphick

"Thanks Peter I will post some pictures on here soon. John"

John Norton replied Jan 5, 2013 to Drawings of Towcester Station

7 Jan 30, 2013
Reply by Brian Elphick

"Hi Andy Martin Johns is my next door neighbour ( literally ) so i will keep chaing h…"

John Norton replied Jan 5, 2013 to Towcester Museum 100 Club

27 Jan 21, 2013
Reply by John Evans

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service